Mountaineer Service Corps Jobs Program
What We're Up Against
West Virginia’s economy is in turmoil. Compared to a generation ago, we have fewer jobs. Good jobs are harder to get, and harder to keep. And our wages are stagnating while inequality grows.
We can and will create a thriving economy together, literally building it from the ground up: The solution is a public works jobs program funded by the same industries that have busted our communities, and profited from our pain. Public works programs that improve infrastructure also improve quality-of-life for working West Virginians and attract businesses. It’s exactly what we need, and on a large scale.
- Get 1,000 displaced miners back into the workforce through tax breaks each year for companies that employ laid off miners or their family members (See Miners Bill of Rights).
- Employ 3,900 new, unionized workers to work for the public through state/local government and non-profit organizations at a living wage, with benefits.
- Fund 7000+ skilled jobs in water and sewer infrastructure maintenance/repair, energy efficiency, solar installations on 1000 public buildings, and more.
- Establish a Summer Youth Mountaineer Corps–1,000 summer jobs for young people at $3500 each.
- Create 600+ jobs for people in recovery, ex-offenders, and others on the front-lines.
- Enact tax credits to create 1,000 jobs for people with disabilities, where the program would cover half the salary of those employed.
- Create 15,000 jobs by capitalizing small, local businesses through the State Bank.
- Invest in reaching high-quality broadband infrastructure to rural areas (see Broadband for All plan), eventually creating 5,000+ jobs.
Employ a highly qualified grant writing committee to seek tens of millions in additional, supporting funds–and seeking partners for the Mountaineer Service Corps job program.
No one politician or slate of candidates can win this plan alone. We need you.
If you have an idea for how to make this plan stronger, or if you would like to lend a hand to win it, contact our candidate for Governor Stephen Smith at email@example.com.